Okay, it's going to be a really long countdown because I'm not going until the first week of August but I'm really excited because I went to training this weekend and I got so pumped! As a part of my scholarship I get to do a Junior Enrichment of my choice. I chose
Camp Friendship, which is a camp for children who have/had cancer or have parents or siblings with cancer. Sounds emotional, right? Well, it will be... but I know these children are going to change my life forever. At camp there are nurses and doctors on sight so the children can get their medication or chemotherapy right there. Yeah, chemotherapy! I'm going to have campers go get chemo and then come back and enjoy the rest of the day. Is that not crazy?! I love the idea behind the camp. These children are going through such a rough time in their lives but when they come to camp, they are 'normal' kids who get to have 'normal' fun. The camp is located on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland so we get to watch the sunset over the bay and gaze at the open sky every night with the most inspiring children. Can you tell I'm excited?! I can not wait! Unfortunately, I have to get through the rest of this semester and all of summer (which I don't want to rush at all!).
Sigh. Also, I've never worked at a sleep away camp so I'm pretty excited about that too!
 |
| Thankfully we won't be sleeping in tents! |
Do you have any camp/ camp counselor memories?
7 comments:
yay im exciteddd!
Wow!! That is soo cool, Kristen! I can only imagine all of the memories you will make there. Seriously, how life changing!
I friend of mine suggested I sign up for a camp like this in the summer. I'm totally excited, I think it could just be life changing. You will have the best experience!
I have MANY camp/ camp counselor memories! Can't wait to experience this with you!
That sounds like an AWESOME camp. My father got cancer when I was 16 and passed away 2 months later. With a family member going through treatment, it's a really rough time. Having positive people around you and taking time to do fun things really brightens things up though. =]
I hope you have a lot of fun at the camp and I admire you for doing something so positive!
Oh man, how cool and exciting. What a neat experience that will be for both you and the cute little campers.
I've attended/worked at sleepaway camps all my life, and they are honestly some of my best memories, especially when I was a counselor. I would work from the end of May to the middle of August every summer and i don't regret a minute of it. My last summer was 4 years ago and I still have flashbacks and am reminded of camp by everyday things. You'll love it.
Post a Comment